Through Alliant Energy's innovative Second Nature™ program, businesses in Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin can support the growth of clean energy from wind, solar and biomass.
Here's how the process works:
- Your electric meter measures the kilowatt-hours your business uses each month. We divide this amount by your Second Nature contribution to determine the equivalent of green energy.
- Next, we combine your usage with other Second Nature participants to get the month's total green requirement.
- Then we make sure we're bringing enough new green energy into our energy pool to meet the total renewable energy requirement.
- The additional green energy comes from new Second Nature sources, above and beyond Alliant Energy's standard generation portfolio.
- That means every Second Nature customer directly increases demand for renewable energy and reduces demand for non-renewable energy.
To help you determine the amount of renewable energy your contribution supports, simply divide the monthly contribution amount of $.02. For example, a $50 monthly contribution allows us to buy 2,500 kilowatt-hours of renewable energy - the annual environmental impact of planting seven acres of trees or not driving more than 65,000 miles!
Enroll in Second Nature today
To be eligible, you must be a farm, small business and commercial/industrial electric customers in Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
To enroll or change your participation level call 1-800-ALLIANT or email firstname.lastname@example.org and request an enrollment card.
Your participation will begin with your next billing cycle. Please note that enrollment may take up to eight weeks, depending on when your billing cycle begins and ends. Any changes to your participation become effective with the next practicable billing cycle.
Approximately 80 percent of your participation goes to purchase renewable energy, and is not tax deductible. A portion is earmarked to educate and inform the public about the importance of renewable energy sources.
Green-e Energy certified program
The Second Nature program is Green-e® Energy certified. Green-e Energy was established by the non-profit Center for Resource Solutions to provide information and an objective standard for consumers to compare renewable energy options, and to verify that consumers get what they pay for. For more information on Green-e Energy certification requirements call 1-888-63-GREEN or visit www.green-e.org.