Manage your bill and stay comfortable all summer long.
Try these easy summer energy-savers to keep your cool - and your cash:
- Raise the thermostat to about 78 to 80 degrees whenever you go to bed or leave the house. A programmable thermostat will do this for you automatically.
- During late afternoon and early evening, turn off unnecessary lights and wait to use heat-producing appliances.
- Shade south- and west- facing windows during the hottest part of the day.
- Use ceiling fans to help circulate air throughout the house and make sure your attic is properly ventilated. A ceiling fan should run clockwise during the summer and counter-clockwise during the winter.
- Set the fan on your central air conditioner to "on" rather than "auto." This will circulate air continuously, keeping the temperature more even throughout the house and aiding in dehumidification.
- Make sure your window air conditioner is the proper size. It's better to get one that's too small than too large - a larger unit will start up and turn off more frequently and won't do as good a job dehumidifying the air.
For more tips on cooling your home, visit our PowerHouse TV webpage: PowerHouse: Cooling Your Home.
Need a new air conditioner?
Be sure to take advantage of money-saving incentives on high-efficiency air conditioners. Just choose your state below to learn more:
If your bill is past due or you're having trouble making ends meet, we can work with you on a payment arrangement with a manageable payment amount and schedule. We will consider such factors as:
- Your ability to pay
- The size of your past due bill
- How long your bill has been past due
- Your payment history
- Reasons your bill is past due
Another option is a payment extension. Call us at 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268) and we can arrange to give you some extra time to pay your Alliant Energy bill in full.
Other billing and payment options